Search This Blog

2/01/2024

Private Drive. And a Little Note: The Beauty All Around Me.

 

The Beauty All Around Me

I took this shot on the way to see Argo, a German Shepherd I befriended. Recently, I saw him, and he let me know that he was hurt, because I haven't been going that way. Argo is very smart, protective, loyal to his friends, and quite fierce to most, but he decided to be loyal to me some years back. I have a feeling, if I were in danger, Argo would jump the fence and tear a troublemaker to shreds. Actually, he became a character in my novel, STRANGE SKIN. I suppose I'll have to make up with him via steak.

I've been around animals a great deal of my life. I enjoy the smarter types, but they can be more difficult to deal with, especially with horses, since they're so big. Some horses I've known...it's amazing...they've understood sadness and complex jokes. They also have a deep sense of memory.  At times, I'd get to know a horse and then, he'd show up years later at a different barn, and he would remember me, for sure. Happened numerous times. And they experience fear, and they remember trauma. Some have intense anxiety, like certain people; they might respond to trailers, hoses, certain flowers, loud sounds, the vet, the farrier, wind, and the like. Most of them react -- in large or small ways -- when a storm's coming. All of this worked its way into my novel, GRIFFIN FARM.

As far as animals, I believe I know the most about horses, when it comes to communication. Most of the time, I can pick up on it quickly and adjust accordingly. But I'm rusty now, so I'm not sure how I'd be at the moment. And there have been times when I've been way off. Every now and then, as with people, I came upon a serial killer. Few and far between, but they were there. Most of them -- when they cause harm, it's an innocent accident, an instinctual reaction, and they're trying to protect themselves. But there were a few I came across that intentionally wanted to cause harm.

With hawks, it's different. Sometimes, I talk to them, and I swear some of them, maybe all of them, hear me. Of course, I've noticed that they mostly respond to motion...for instance, when I wave, hold an arm up, stop and start, things of that nature. Horses are that way too, so I'm familiar with that. Generally, if you lead, and you don't look them in the eye, horses will follow, unless it's a stallion. Sometimes, I've noticed the hawks will too, if they're flying...if there's more than one, they'll fly and circle and seem to stay with me on a walk route, for instance. But if they're in a tree, they don't leave, although one flew right to me one time, and I'm not sure what I did differently. I'm curious about it, because unlike horses, they're unpredictable. I've been studying them and learning.

Generally, I think all animals know and feel more than people think they do. Positive thought for today, for me, for you:  I see the mystery, the beauty in all that's around me. Continually, nature humbles me.

Good morning. Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell