Search This Blog

4/15/2024

Photo. And some words about THE HOLE.

 

Took this photo with a friend in mind. He worked with me. Daily, we cut it up in the milk cooler. In case you didn't know, other than the freezers and bathrooms, the milk cooler is the only place in supermarkets where there aren't cameras. If no one found us, we couldn't get in trouble for wasting company time. So, we'd hide out there. Eventually, someone would call our names over the store speaker system, but we usually got away with it for a while. Literally, just as in car dealerships, in groceries, nearly everywhere you go, there's a camera. At most dealerships, the only place there's not a camera is the bathroom. And at some dealerships I've worked in, there's someone monitoring the cameras 24/7 at their home. No lie. Ultra creepy. More cameras than a jewelry store. Eyes everywhere.

Honestly, we both worked our asses off most of the time anyway, so it didn't really matter. These interactions eventually inspired me to write THE HOLE. He got a kick out of the whole idea, and he gave me a lot of info about dairy, stocking, and such. The real interactions were hilarious most days, and he was a sweet, sharply smart, kind friend. I miss him; he left this world a few years ago.

But the book turned into something different altogether -- an intense psychological thriller; you'll see some of his dark humor and sharp wit creep out from time to time, but that's pretty much it, because it took a wild turn from there. That's the way it usually works with my writing. I'll get inspired, but the rest comes out of the ether, a.k.a. my ridiculous brain. I love creating dialogue and slipping in humor when people would least expect it. I also love when horror films use this tactic.

If you haven't read THE HOLE, you're missing out. It's a page-turner, and I did an immense amount of research to develop my characters, especially Zion Makeda, who was my favorite to write. Actually, his character is far from my personal experience, although you'll see a bit of me creep in there, as he deals with some intense anxiety issues, and I do as well. For good reason...both of us have had heavy outside stress going on. I fell in love with all of these characters while I was writing. Sometimes I do. 

Here's my Amazon Author Page, for all the info.

Most people experience anxiety, in varying degrees, I've noticed. Although, I have a neighbor that seems to float around even keel. I asked her about it, and she said that she's always been that way, just floating around, ha.

Hope you get a chance to read THE HOLE. Not only is it a fast-paced psych thriller, it's also deep as hell and sometimes funny. Check it out.

Well, I'm gonna work for a short while. ;) <3. Glad you're here.

Love to you.
C.A. MacConnell