Search This Blog

4/03/2024

Abby.

 

At first glance, I realize that this doesn't seem like the greatest photo, in terms of study, lighting, and the like. Just a moment in time caught on film. But at second glance, I simply like the feel of it, and I like the feel of her eye. Gives out a vibe that I love and so, fuck the rules.

Right away, I knew that this bay mare, Abby, would be gentle and sweet. I was always on guard around chestnut mares; they were usually the most difficult ones to work with, but not always, and I could always immediately gauge the personality by looking at the eye. Abby had a quiet eye, as you can see here. I only worked around a few stallions. Most barns I worked in had all geldings and a few mares. There's a reason for that! Ha. If you look closely, you can see/feel the anger or fire in a horse eye. Gives you that gut feeling -- the same way that it works with dogs, cats, people, etc.

It's like this:  there are all kinds of complicated coffee makers out there now, and I've worked in a ton of coffee shops over the years. I've even worked in some exclusive shops in Seattle, and let me tell you, they were and are serious about coffee out there. Ha. I can make ridiculously complex drinks. I even know how to roast beans. And yet, at home, I have used the same $10 Mr. Coffee maker for about 15 years...and it still works just fine. Drinking a cup of Seattle's Best right now.*

Lately, I'm reminded to honor the lessons I've learned. Study the eye. Use what works. Go with my gut. Don't second guess. At first glance, one catches a glimpse of the soul, so to speak. As one of my spiritual advisers always says, Trust yourself.

Hope you have a good day. Gentle, sweet.

Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell

*Sidenote:  did you know that Seattle's Best and Starbucks originally both started in Seattle, and they had dueling shops right across from each other in the Pike Place Market? Actually, I've been to the original locations. Every day, these two companies battled for customers. Everyone took sides. Later, Starbucks bought out Seattle's Best, but Starbucks still sells the Seattle's Best coffee in stores, and no one knows that it's them selling the stuff. But there are no more Seattle's Best locations, obviously. I still drink Seattle's Best, but ironically, although I'm a diehard Seattle's Best supporter, since I buy the stuff and Starbucks owns it now, I'm now supporting Starbucks. Everything's complicated. <3