Search This Blog

3/30/2024

Photo: Gracie.

 

Most people don't know this about me, but I played out solo all over Ohio and Virginia during the nineties, and I was in a band for a while. Played guitar and sang in those days. I became pretty sharp on guitar back then. I've always just created originals, messed around. But I admit that my style is hilarious. You see, I learned on an enormous acoustic Ibanez with heavy strings, a guitar that was nearly bigger than me and so, I tend to really bang on guitars. Definitely not a "light feeler." I'm like the Meg White of guitar. Bam, Bam from the Flintstones. I'm the same with tennis and bowling; everyone's always like "Watch out!" I'm terrible at both of those sports. All muscle, absolutely no control. But like I said, in the nineties, I was sharp with my banging around, haha.

Lately, I've been drawn more to piano, but...last night, I was at an old friend's house, and he had a piano that sounded so rad. So, I played some new stuff I've been working on. And I played his guitar with a mic for the first time in about ... let's see ... 15 years. I think the last time I did that was for a show I did in Dayton in 2009, if I remember correctly. Before that show, I hadn't played out since like 1998. Reason I did that show -- well, I was interviewing some guys for a magazine, and I asked them who was opening for their next show, and they said, "You." I cracked up, but I took on the challenge, and I did it. We had a blast.

Anyway, last night, I played a song that I haven't played since then, which was fun, but I couldn't hear myself, which is a problem. But I had a good time. I felt comfortable at that microphone, ha. I always do. Like coming home. So strange. I'm extremely introverted and yet, when I get in front of a microphone, I'm so relaxed, right in the moment.

Anyway, just sharing something from my life. I've sold my guitars. I've sold everything. Not a "poor me" statement, just facts, lol. I'd like to get another, I think, when I can. I want an old acoustic Ibanez that I can bang on. I love the bass sound in those guitars. I don't like pussy-sounding guitars.

Some things never change. Ha.

Good morning.

Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell