Search This Blog

3/21/2024

Bear Lake

I've been unsettled, and I've been grieving the past few days, which is OK, as I'm processing through some tough stuff, and silent meditation has been bringing up the emotions! But I woke up thinking about scenes that made me feel peaceful as a child -- and still do -- times when I was alone with nature, when it felt like it was all my secret...I remember having a feeling of "something greater" out there, even back then, and it calmed me, giving me some comfort. Here's a poem about one of those hiding places. Maybe it'll comfort you too. :) Hope you have a good day. Love to you, C.A.

Bear Lake

Early mornings,
I escaped
the family.
Slipping out
of the twin bed,
I looked over,
making sure
my brother
was still sleeping.
Softly opening
the door,
then the screen,
I closed them
behind me,
but something
always creaked.
Scratching my legs,
I cursed
at the chiggers.
I looked back
at the cottage,
checking,
maybe twice.
Barefoot,
I made my way
across the cool,
damp grass.
Looking both ways,
I crossed
the forbidden road.
Dead snake, one day.
Dad's t-shirt
was my dress.
I crept over
to the beach swing,
climbing up
to settle down
on the faded,
green cushion.
I gripped the chains
and rocked,
feeling the cool,
lake wind
and once again,
I listened
to the whispers
of secret waves,
and time
was all mine.

C.A. MacConnell