Search This Blog

12/31/2023

Pipe Dream

Something I just busted out on social media. I rather liked it...so I'm reposting it here.

Pipe Dream

Positive thought for today, for me, for you: years ago, I was at a dive bar in Virginia, checking out an open mic. I was in a band then, and we played some songs, and it seemed like an ordinary night. But it wasn't...

You see, suddenly, four guys appeared, quietly setting up. They seemed to be around 17, and they all wore tattered clothes -- not store bought, no, but rather, the kind that were worn from life. When they were ready, the singer simply said, "We're Pipe Dream," and they started playing. I listened. My eyes widened. It was the best drummer I had ever heard in my entire life -- a tiny kid, hiding out in the back, playing his heart out like a monster. Then they finished and left, disappearing into the night, and I never saw any of them again. Right after that, my band won a contest and some recording time.

Moral of the story: some visions may seem like a "pipe dream," and life may present setbacks, but if I keep focusing on the good and doing the work, the "pipe dream" suddenly materializes and becomes reality.

Because somewhere, right now, some kid quietly wakes up and realizes a little secret -- maybe he never made it through high school, but without a doubt, he's the best drummer in the world.

<3,
C.A. MacConnell