Search This Blog

10/06/2024

Bedroom Wall Posters

A cashier asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. When I was little, and someone asked me that question, I listened to the other kids say things like "doctor," "lawyer," and "astronaut." My response was this:  "I want to be a wild horse!" I am fifty and now, my answer is this:  "I want to be a wild horse, or a hawk, because it would be really cool to be able to fly!" Wish me luck as Charlie (my car) and I navigate the cruel world as a wild horse and hawk, ha. Perhaps a Pegasus? I am drawn to others like this as well. :) Enjoy the poem. Love to you, C.A.

Bedroom Wall Posters

When I was little, I wanted to become
a mustang -- one of the riotous few
imprisoned only by quake, famine,
or storm. Which beast, I wasn't sure --
bay or black, grey or Paint, Palomino
or albino, but never the Appaloosa.
(Each time I spied a spotted coat,
I was again unhinged by shapes,
soon lost in the torturous world
of counting). I could almost hear
the group sound -- pounding hooves
touching earth, any earth, be it cracked,
craving desert or muddy, saturated
marsh. In one shot, they violently
beach-galloped, spattering waves
and sand, wind-swept, scattered
and strange. Yes, their joy was dirty.
He, the stallion, seemed bloodthirsty.
Cartoonlike, half-black and huge,
his eyes rolled back. On the edge
of the lid, he was slightly showing
a wild, white moon sliver. The silvery,
hot, inimitable foam of horse sweat
simmered all over him, and deep down,
I knew that in his time, in between
war and calm, he’d seen hundreds
of humans.

C.A. MacConnell

P.S. PHOTOS: custom, signed prints -- message my Facebook page at C.A. MacConnell or, email me right here! I also do fancier prints on metal or canvas, ready to hang. Need writing help? Songwriting, book editing, copy, fiction, nonfiction...when it comes to writing, you name it...I can do it. Over 30 years of experience in all genres.