Search This Blog

11/05/2023

October

I just wrote this. Enjoy. Love, C.A. 

October

Shivering, half-alive, I wake.

Peering outside, I watch the clouds turn
into fragile, lean, skeletons --
awkward beyond slim –
and then, they sink into slow motion,
a pulsing, pressing flight,
white blood leak-dancing across the air
like sweat staining fresh sheets.
Yawning, stretching, I flinch,
feeling a world of spasms,
the family buried deep
within my cervical space.
Behind me, your bare, warm arm
shifts to reach, and when your fingertips
gently grace my neck,
that is all it takes
to heal and build the muscle,
and that is all it takes
to create morning, a newly burning sky,
the strange, domed heat lighting us
hole to whole,
and that is all it takes,
and that is all.

Suddenly, skin to skin,
we are gathering sky bones.

C.A. MacConnell