Search This Blog

10/15/2023

Photo, Our Side. And some thoughts on humility.



Humility

Last night, I heard a man say this: “To me, humility means more than just a feeling. It means that I pray to let me be what God wishes me to be, and then I listen. After that, I take the action that supports what I see and hear. To me, humility means action.”

The words really struck me, calling out to me, and the entire discussion redirected my thinking. I suppose I’ve heard similar phrases before but in that moment, it really sank in. Funny how words can hit us differently at various times in life.

Anyway, instead of musing about what I’m trained to do, what I like to do, what I want, and the like, I began to think of myself in terms of acting as a “vessel” of God’s direction. I began to think of my gifts, and how I can add to this world, rather than take from it. And indeed, that is a humbler view of one’s life path…because it turns me more into a “receiver” of direction, rather than someone who forces a certain way upon the world. It also relaxed me some, reminding me to slow down and notice more why I’m here.

It was a great reminder for me, and I plan to add these words to my morning prayers. Let’s see what rolls out next.

C.A. MacConnell