Search This Blog

8/11/2023

The Bird

A poem a day. Another flash poem for you, no edits, on the fly. :) C.A. 

The Bird

Solo, I crawl inside
the tree's hollow,
and all is wickedly silent.

Another wrong exit.
Again, I miss the driveway.
On the southern highway,
I lose the houses, falling

into spider webs and cornfields.

Even the golden retriever
and the milk man
spook me. Hard labor

takes its toll. 
My clothes are falling 
from my frame.
One cheek turns red

and then, the other catches

up. Yes, but the bicep.
Today, I watch a woman
pull over, blocking both lanes, 

stopping traffic
in its tracks.
And then, she leaps
from her car, bending

down low, perfectly

reaching for the road,
scooping up an injured redbird,
holding the tiny, 

twitching life
in the palm of her hand.
Close, behind her,
I follow to make sure

that she and the bird make it

home.

C.A. MacConnell