Search This Blog

8/03/2023

Hollins Porch




I believe these shots were taken at least 20 years apart; these two images show the same porch which is just outside the Hollins University Main Building. The first was taken on film. The second, digital. If you walk through the front doors, just inside, you'll see the Green Drawing Room, where Hollins has hosted many poetry and fiction readings, as well as other gatherings. Numerous famous writers have spoken there, and they continue to roll in every couple of weeks. The room was and is rather regal looking, and it holds an intense, respectful, quiet vibe. At all times, it's almost as if the room is "ready to listen." But afterward, in another building, there were some rather raucous parties, ha.

We also had biweekly student readings, which were just as well attended, and I did both poetry and fiction readings while I was there, which was both fun and engaging. I enjoy public speaking, and I remember one time, I read an extremely spooky story, and I looked up, and many people were engaged, and some looked really scared, ha. Afterward, two of my professors, Richard and Rick, who have both since passed, were cheering me on with wide smiles. 

This morning, I thought of these images, because when I was meditating the other day, I saw a clear vision of this porch. I suppose the vision of these rockers always gives me peace, because I often used to sit here, watch everyone walk by on Front Quad, journal, or play guitar. One time, Rick swung by and grabbed my guitar and played a tune too.

I had some awesome teachers.

Good morning. Hope your day is fun and engaging, or whatever you wish it to be. I'm getting injections in my neck, and I'm hoping it will help, we'll see. So, it's rest time for me. Indeed, I doubt I'll follow their instructions; I never do, ha.

Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell