Search This Blog

6/20/2023

University of the Child Inside.

Last night, I heard a talk about a man who recovered and found his true calling -- helping kids. This morning I woke with a fierce spirit. I was thinking about treatment, 12-step programs, and other programs, and how they don't work for many, or how some die before they even begin to recover. And this goes for everyone...not just people recovering from addiction, but also, those struggling with divorce, loss of a parent, past trauma...whatever the case may be. Indeed, every human I've ever met has had some sort of difficult times and painful growth periods. And everyone I've ever met has been touched by mental health issues as well.

Overall, we're all in recovery in some way, shape, or form.

But then, I thought about these budding recovery centers that are unknown to many. There are places with equine therapy, agricultural therapy (I have a relative involved in one of these), creative outlets and the like, but they are only available to a select few. In my mind, that's the ticket. They combine traditional medicine, alternative medicine, and other outlets to help people...such as farming, dancing, riding, cooking, you name it. There, people also learn how to work, play, develop their spirits, and give back -- something lacking in most treatment options.

What if...when someone is suffering for any reason, instead of putting people away as if they are "troubled or bad," we set them free? What if, when someone couldn't grasp a certain program, idea, or doctor route, instead of saying, "Sorry, come back when you're ready," we said, "Let's create one that works for you!" Throw out the shame and bring in some compassion, love, and care. I bet, in those faces, a light would begin to shine.

In other words, what if we found what it was that they were passionate about and let them dig into that, whether it be music, writing, art, photography, fashion, construction, engineering, boxing ...whatever the choice may be. What if there were universities completely focused on this kind of healing...and in this way, if people were encouraged to fully develop their true selves, they could, in the future, give back and add to society as well. It'd be a win-win scenario. Man in care learns to make artistic coffee drinks...later starts his own coffee shop and hires others from the university who are passionate about it as well. Woman in care learns to make amazing dishes and later hires others from the university to open a bakery. People have begun to do this all over, and there are small ventures here and there.  There's a coffee shop nearby that focuses on hiring people who have been in prison. Things of this nature...it'd be a wonderful snowball effect.

The focus would not be on the negative, but rather, the focus would be on the person's individual gifts. How cool would that be? Universities focused on the "child inside." Now wouldn't that be beautiful?

It would begin with a "dying" person...and the university would be geared toward bringing the person back to life.

I sure wish I would have known about the equine therapy programs when I was first in recovery...indeed, without even realizing it, I created my own by taking riding lessons again, and when I look back, it seems like that's when I really began to get better...because I found that which was missing from my heart.

I used to muse about opportunities such as this back in the 90s. Of course, I've always had such visions and hopes buried deep within me. Anyway, I woke up with this budding dream...the idea for a new, creative program for all (for people struggling with any form of suffering), new literature, a new book, modern, gender-inclusive language, and new steps for healing, a program that says, Let's create one that works for you. Let's bring you back to life :)

Just musing about what might be something for the future that helps more people. I believe I may have to add a chapter to Book Five. Or maybe it's Book Six.

Good morning. Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell