Search This Blog

7/04/2018

Morning Prayer

Some more flash poetry for you this morning. When I say 'flash', that means, right off the top of my head, ha. :) Just playing around and getting in the groove. These exercises help me focus, for sure, and they help me add juice to my fiction. Gonna work on some edits today for book three, editing right on the hard copy, sweet. Getting closer! Love, C.A.

Morning Prayer

I'm getting better.

I like cool sheets, hot sweats, and the new necklace
on my collarbone. I like black snakes, skate shoes,

and a cutthroat game of horse. I haven't eaten out
in five years. Every day, I clean my place for a party

of one. I like four miles, five miles, faith, and trucker
hats. The Judge made me weep. I have around

thirteen tattoos, and many need retouching.
Like all men, I believe in storms, the lost mail,

and the mean little dog. I believe that the trees
hold the dead inside; I believe that they speak

to us, if we listen. I believe in the light that lives
within some eyes, and I believe that the others

will someday be coming. I like soft serve
and Catawba Mountain. For my size, I surprise

everyone in the weight room. I believe in the blink,
the grin, the wave, and the thumbs-up, that intention

says it all, and that silence can be divine. I'm terrible
with orders. I roll my eyes at suggestions. I think

I'd like to walk today. I like warm, red blankets,
men's t-shirts, rock and roll, and long, boy shorts.

I am better, but no one knows.

C.A. MacConnell