Search This Blog

7/22/2023

Sky Galley

 

My Mimi and I used to meet here for lunch. Not open anymore, but it was around for 90 years, I believe. It was so much fun, and the food wasn't great, but I never cared at all, because I loved it there. Mimi never cared much about "high class" food either. She also never cared much about clothes, decorating, or the like, which was interesting, considering that she was well off. She did always have a smokin' car, though, and she did care about her Cadillacs...even in old age, she drove like a speedracer; it was hilarious. She also was a devout Catholic, and throughout the course of her life, she had very few health problems. Before she met grandpa, she had considered becoming a nun. Interesting. But she lived her faith, and she was so well-read and ahead of her time. She wasn't warm and fuzzy. Rather, she commanded an air of respect. She knew every detail about every subject, the topics ranging from sports to politics to rap. She was never on the show, but when she watched Jeopardy, she knew every answer; no one could have ever beat her. She had a photographic memory that lasted into her nineties. Amazing.

I learned so much from her. In many ways, I'm a lot like her. I don't think I'm warm and fuzzy either, although I'm softer than she was I believe. I don't have a photographic memory, but I have a good memory for dialogue -- words mostly, more than I'd like to remember sometimes, ha. I also remember details well, such as minute features, or what shoes or sweater a person was wearing at a particular time, but I sometimes become lost in the details and forget names and other things. I'm not Catholic, but I keep trying at faith. I don't care much about fashion, decorating, food, or "stuff" in general, just like her. And like her, I do love cars, ha.

My thought upon waking:  seems to me, in various ways, we're all running around this world, saying various things, taking strange actions, but in the end, we're all simply looking for love. 

Love to you,
C.A. MacConnell