Search This Blog

9/22/2017

Photo: Barn Aisle

Barn Aisle
Loveland, OH

I actually worked as a professional trainer at this very farm for about five years, but the place has been totally redone since then. Still, when I visited last year, it brought back so many memories. I suppose I'd like to have one horse to train again someday...just for fun...some gelding. There are two horses that I miss...one is the gelding I owned when I was 16-18 years old. I'd tell you his name, but it's not polite to speak of the dead. The other is Johnny, one of the racehorses I retrained to jump. I know where he is, but it's private property, and they don't allow visitors. Bummer. 'Course that never stopped me before. Just ask Argo the dog, who lives in a yard down the street.

So, yeah, it'd be nice to have that connection with a horse again.

But I'm all right.

Back when I worked at this Loveland farm, I had like 30 in my care, and I rode and jumped many of them. I also had a slew of students that I loved. Feels like another life, at the moment.

It is.

I get so caught up. And right now, the focus is on trying to help others and finishing up book three, so that's keeping me in tune with all that is. It's good to have a focus, a goal, a dream. I always have something cookin'. I've always been that way.

Nature has been a beast lately. You know what made me happy two days ago? I saved a turtle from being hit by a car. A painter. Picked him right up and carried him close to some water. He was so scared, the poor guy. You know what made me happy yesterday? I saved a katydid. She was scared too.

Horse or no horse, job or no job, agent or no agent, broke or getting by...I'm not scared.

C.A. MacConnell