Search This Blog

9/02/2017

Gratitude in Action

Attention:  I'm looking to hire someone to help me with promotion. If you're interested in marketing...doing all social media, emailing, writing letters, and getting the word out, helping promote my books, and you're passionate about the material, I will hire you. Contact me at camacconnell at gmail dot com. Thanks so much. Now, for today's essay...

Gratitude in Action

I woke up thinking this:  I don't know what I'm doing, really. I feel so lost sometimes. Does anyone know what they're doing? I mean, some people look like they have it so together, don't they? They wear their suits, their business skirts and sweaters, their uniforms, their costumes. But deep down, aren't they wondering the same thing...here and there...do they think this:  should I be doing something else? How can I best contribute to this world? How did I end up here?

I suppose we all think things like this. Maybe every day, or every week, or merely from time to time. Especially when things are going well. That's when these thoughts seem to creep in for me, putting a film on my outlook.

And then I stop to think things like this:  somewhere, right now, someone is stuck in an abusive relationship. Others are trapped in flood waters. Some are sick, dying, or mourning the loss of a loved one. At the border, a girl is trying to escape sex trafficking. And all over the map, people are struggling to find safety and satisfy basic needs.

So in reality, it's an absolute privilege that I am able to wake up and muse about the direction of my life. A privilege. Because I don't have to worry about hot water, safety, warmth, dry clothes, food, and the like. My basic needs are taken care of, and that, when I think about it, is a miracle. I am truly blessed.
But even so, I've often stopped to think, What is the Creator's plan for me, really?

But that's where great gratitude and perseverance come in. Because sitting around thinking about everything and questioning my life plan really doesn't seem to help me much. What does help is getting into action; that is, I start working on book three, like I do every day, regardless of how I feel. I do my other writing work. I plug away. I do the steps, the daily deal. And in the neighborhood, I try to help someone unload her cart at the grocery. I visit someone at the hospital. I do what I can to add to the stream of life.

As far as the universe's grand plan, I take it one day at a time, and I just try to do the next right thing. Then the big picture, I assume, will just roll on out how it should.

I let the rest work out on its own.

Today, let me take small steps and cherish every moment I can add to the stream of life. Let me walk in gratitude...and I don't mean gratitude as a mere feeling; I mean it as an action word.

Gratitude in action,
C.A. MacConnell

P.S. Whoever is reading, I hope your day is full of love and light. Also, hi Mike, if you're reading, keep trucking.