Search This Blog

9/25/2016

Photo: Hats. 'Iron Jawed Angels' and CWC

 
Hats

The photo is a reference to the theme of "different hats," one symbolic journey (of many) that ran through Iron Jawed Angels, a film directed by Katja Von Garnier. Last night, I was privileged enough to catch a one-time area showing of this movie. With top notch acting, the film was inspiring, smart, disturbing at times, and thought-provoking. At different points, I squirmed, I smiled, I cried, you name it. Truly an emotional journey.

The screening was held on the historic Showboat Majestic, a National Historic Landmark, the last and oldest American floating theater (she was born in 1923). The experience was quite unique, because while I was watching the film, I could feel the boat move here and there, which startled me each time.

Thanks to Cincinnati World Cinema, the event organizers, a group of steadfast volunteers who continue to bring wonderful films to the area. In addition, they were the impetus for the new local organization Women in Film (WIF). I'm an avid supporter of CWC. I minored in Film in college, and I've always been a film lover/supporter. At the CWC events, I've never been disappointed. If you enjoy cinematic art, check out their site for future events.

Recently, this region has been quite popular for the film industry. It's refreshing to see the creativity roll in, and it's lovely to hear about the way that national artists are embracing the world around me, right in my "back yard," so to speak.

I hope one day to have a small back yard. Fenced in for the dog, probably a big, kind mutt. <3
C.A. MacConnell