Search This Blog

4/05/2023

Jeans, a poem, upon hearing of RHW Dillard's passing.

Had to post a poem today. In honor of RHW Dillard's teaching...he walked me through fiction, poetry, numerous advanced creative writing workshops, Hitchcock, 18th Century British Novels, Fellini, and so much more, undergraduate and graduate. :) He cracked up and gave me an "A" when I wrote a ten page paper that was an entire joke about the movie, 'Marnie'. He was hilarious, brilliant, and kind. He was the one who invented the chicken theory, and if you know you know. Much love to your family and friends...and your Hollins family. You, a true genius, touched so many hearts and minds. :) <3

Jeans

Maybe you live
here.

Hands in pockets,
I see the twisty
driveway.

I see the castle,
someone else's shack.

No matter.

One dog, two cats.

A slate roof.
The attic room,
a cone.

The fence,
belt-looping
dandelions.

The shutters,
fitting the frame
like thin,
broken jeans
hugging skin.

Maybe you live
here.
I'll be wearing
faded black.

I ache for the casual
silence.

Maybe you live here.

Maybe I'll be
back.

C.A. MacConnell