Search This Blog

6/30/2019

Joanna at the Waffle House

Some secrets about the creation...originally, I met Joanna when I was in a band, and we were all at the Waffle House late night. We did share a few words. And then, I imagined what her story might be, and I combined some of my experience with it, and the poem took on a life (and character) of its own. This is often how I begin to develop characters...a combo of different folks, all wrapped in one, as well as a l'il of me buried in there. Hope you like it. Love, C.A.

Joanna at the Waffle House

Coffee or tea? You're lucky, see --
some nights, the blackest alleys
still reach for me. See, they want me
back. Mornings -- blinding, man,
And the bottle was the place
that I called home. When I woke,
sometimes I found strange blankets,
or maybe a brand new bruise.
Some girl was always askin' T-bird
who she fucked last night. Shit,
never talked to that kind. I traced
my way somewhere safe. Thick,
fast, mean love shook me loose,
like a wicked cough, like a wheeze,
making my chest push and pull
within the hours, when I felt
the noise of everything close.
Maybe it was even you. Hell,
I remember the slick, nasty streets --
the muggers, and the dope boys,
and the Lusty Lady strippers.
Outside smokin', they wore nothing
but red robes. I remember the punk
kids, the snapping, the slapping,
and the cracking. Everywhere,
smiles held gaping holes. Back
there, in the box, a baby. You need
more time? You're lucky, see.
Some nights, the blackest alleys
still reach for me, 'cause back there,
in the box, that baby was mine.
Maybe it was even you.

C.A. MacConnell