Search This Blog

11/15/2018

A Love Like That

Yesterday, I listened to a podcast about a couple on a post-college, cross-country adventure who survived "the worst day ever." They were trying to camp near Mt. Rainier, but in the process, they faced a flash flood that barely missed their tent, stomach problems (this part was pretty funny), bad directions that led them over a terrifying bridge and along a steep ledge (also rather funny and tense at the same time), power outages, no vacancies at several hotels (or too-expensive rooms), soaked sleeping bags, trouble finding food, and on and on, you name it.

Nothing seemed to work out.

I was completely engaged in the story. In the past, I spent some time hiking around Mt. Rainier, and that drew me in, but also, I was intrigued by their history and hope. See, they had already been together for many years and not long after this hilarious adventure, they ended up getting married.

What was so interesting about the story were the dangerous events, sure, but also, I was moved by the way that they worked together, supported each other and despite wrong decisions and setbacks, they still came together in the end. They lived on, carried on, and from the sound of the man's voice, they grew closer and closer. Rad.

They never gave up. And not once did they ever even entertain the idea. A love like that is divine.

And a love like that comes to us in many ways -- through friends, lovers, coworkers, family, and animals. Listening to their story reminded me of this:  the way we come together, the way we find each other, the way we love and carry on...there must be something greater out there. I pray, and I believe, but I need reminders, and this was a doozy.

The soul is a curious thing. I am grateful for any and all soul connections. They're what make this life worth living, in my book. So perhaps "the worst day ever" can be a miracle in disguise.

Hope you hear me out there. You are a star, and so am I.⭐🌟😍
C.A. MacConnell