Search This Blog

6/07/2018

Where It All Started.

Catawba Mountain
Virginia

I think this spot is my favorite place in the world. If I were to ever get married, I'd like it to be here. See, I'd like to collect my new husband's cash then throw my new husband over the edge. Ha! I'm joking. I do love this place.

The very first draft of this third book I'm working on was written my Senior Year in college in Virginia. At Hollins University, I punched out something like 120pp. of the sucker for my Senior Thesis, and the work was awarded the Hollins Fiction Prize that year, 1996. At the time, the story was told in three different points of view, all first person.

Back then, my professor and thesis advisor walked by me when I was sitting in the Hollins' Main Building rocking chairs, and he said this:  "I read your work. It's good, really good." Coming from Rick, that was thrilling. Rest in peace, Rick. You've been a huge mentor in my journey.

Now the book is third person subjective. That change took some time, let me tell you. What a mess.

Not a mess anymore.

I basically let it sit until the past few years, when I started dabbling with it again, making changes, doing more research, and the like. Since then, it has been drastically altered of course. Onward and upward. I'm so pleased with the way it's going. Still quite a bit of work to do, but I'm rolling with it pretty quickly.

Can't wait for you to read it.

C.A. MacConnell