Search This Blog

1/12/2019

Photo: Four Sisters + Essay: Flawless.

 
Four Sisters
Sharon Woods
Flawless

I have a poster of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam in my apartment. When I look at it, it reminds me of a time when I felt wild, free, unchained, when I followed the band across the country. Sure, I was a mess, but I was unaware of it for the most part, and I was happily traveling with the few belongings that fit in my car, and I sure miss the movement, the chaotic shows, the dancing, and the whole raw deal. His picture takes me back. That time in my life was one big wave of emotion, all wrapped up in some band's sound.

Did I put them on a pedestal? Back then, probably. Now, no.

To put someone on a pedestal is to take away his/her humanness. It removes the ability for us to truly connect. Sure, in the past, I feel like I've been on both ends -- the one looking up, and the one looking down. And neither one is a way to fully connect with a flawed human. Because the flaws -- the pains, the defeats, the trials and joys -- are what bring us together. When someone is viewed as "flawless," it brings about low self esteem, anxiety, depression, and the like. When someone views me as "flawless," it brings about separation, distance, and the inability to bond in a soul-like way.

So now I see Vedder's picture as a memory of a time, a place, a dream, the wild years. It is a snapshot, a mere captured moment that reminds me of music that filled my heart, and I appreciate the creators for the movement, the sound, and the storm. It's inspiring to me as an artist.

Right here, right now, I don't want to hold you up or shoot you down. I want to know about what makes you human.

I want to know about the real deal -- not just the image in one snapshot. Even these nuns in my picture aren't flawless. I know one personally, and she's hilarious, stubborn, and unique. She's a strong feminist who refuses to go to Mass because they won't allow female priests. Over the years, I've known many nuns, since I grew up in Catholic schools. One had an ankle tattoo. Another smoked cigs during the lunch hour. Still another met a man and bailed out of the convent. 

From Vedder to nuns, we're all just struggling along, facing each day as it comes despite our childhood traumas, outside events, catastrophes, triumphs, gifts, and defects.

Today, I am not afraid of real, startling connections, and I appreciate any day that takes me there.

But I will say this:  this first snow is perfect. If you want to see perfection, look to nature.

I wish you the best in your life and love,
C.A. MacConnell