Search This Blog

10/31/2016

My Writings in Texas

So I was mulling over past writings (a ridiculous hobby of mine), and I remembered my favorite stories/journals from the neanderthal era, when I was in grad school. I did a little digging. There's this awesome literary journal (slick and pro I might add), a collection of literature called, Analecta 25:  University of Texas at Austin, which was published way back in 1999, in the days when phone booths and mammoths still existed, which was a while ago, I know, but it's still rad for anyone...and it's especially rad for those like me who are stuck in the nineties.

Anyway, I still crack that 1999 issue open and read sections of the work all the time. And guess what? You can find that very issue right here. Or you can come over, and I'll read some of it to you. I have a well-worn copy. No creepos please. Guess what else? I have two stories in there -- Jesus, Jimmy and This Place Needs Cleanin'. I'm proud of those stories -- I think they're the kind that still stand, even after all of this time, which is always a bonus. Hey, I read the Cleanin' one at a Hollins University English Department reading once, and it scared the crap out of everyone. Perfect for Halloween.

Well, if it's easier, I re-posted those stories on this blog, under the "Fiction" label, so you can find them right here, just a simple click of your finger, but then you have to scroll through other stories. Aha, even easier, you can search for them at the top of the page. I would give a direct link right here, but I'm all linked-out.

Besides, who wants things to come easy? It's more fun to see them in the Analecta book, I think.

UT puts out this book every year. Seems they're on Analecta 43 now. If you're looking for some great reading, this literary and arts journal doesn't disappoint...it's thick, well-designed, packed with new energy, and there's none of the dry, robot, "I am a writer I am so deep" stuff. It's all unique and refreshing. Here's the Analecta official site where you can order the current issue as well.

Also in the news:  Kylin the cat took a trip to the vet, and I asked her how long she thinks he has, and she said, "About a year." But here's the kicker...the last time I was at the vet, like over a year ago, I asked the same thing, and they said, "About a year." My boy is unstoppable.

Also in the news:  I did the dumbest thing. I saw this couple with their baby, and I said, "Cute baby, hi there, are you going to dress him up for Halloween?" The dad said, "No, we don't get into that dark stuff." I said, "Aw, but you could dress him up cute!" And then I went on and on and on and on with ideas, and I was really pushing the issue. Turns out, I later discovered that they're hardcore religious, and the more I talked, the more I was offending them. Ha, oh well.



Yesterday, I saw a dude on a motorcycle who looked just like this (see above). I jumped.

Don't forget to check out my story, This Place Needs Cleanin'. See! I gave you the direct link, finally, at last, you can all relax. Talk about dark and spooky, just sayin'.

Happy Halloween,
C.A. MacConnell