Search This Blog

7/12/2016

Small Miracles

I've been working on my book, but I stopped when I thought this:  with everything disturbing going on around the world these days, as one person, what can I do? Little me, what can I do?

It's easy to feel helpless, but I know that I can take actions, however small, to make another person's day a little better. I could hold the door for someone, be a listening ear, call someone, give someone a cookie or a flower. What can I do that is absent of self? Maybe my ideas are just small things, and I certainly don't have the resources to act on a grand scale, but can't goodness radiate outward? Can't one small act of kindness be a stimulus for joy to spread? Why not. I admit that I'm tired, and this week has been tough for me too; I have actually cried my eyes out in horrific pain, but I'm still here. And I know that there are so many others who had tougher weeks than me, for sure. Feelings...they change, and I have processed some biggies. But just for today, why not focus on turning thoughts around, moving in the direction of love and light?

Instead of assuming others are out to hurt me, I can assume that it is all for a greater good.
Instead of wishing someone would make a different decision, I can assume that we all have our own paths, and what is true for them is right and good.
Instead of thinking the universe is troubled, I can think that things are happening as they should be.
Instead of thinking that my pain is a punishment, I can see it as God's way of leading me to the light, to becoming more fully who I am.
Instead of fueling anger, I can choose to forgive myself and others and let go.
Instead of wishing for one person to be with me, I can allow God to handle my relationships.
Instead of wishing for sun, I can dance in the rain.
I am not a victim. I am a hero, a survivor. And this is true for anyone who has been through trauma.

Do I sound too cheesy or self-helpish? Maybe I do, but my heart holds a great deal of hope. Rather than focus on the turmoil, I can focus on gratitude. I have clean water, hot and cold. I have food in my fridge. I have medical care, supportive family and friends, and a safe place to live. So many people do not have these things. I am truly lucky.

Sometimes it takes me a while to process things feelings-wise, but my heart feels right, and I try to stay on the right path.

Today's Truth:  I hope that some small miracle happens for you today.

C.A. MacConnell

Here is a shot I took of the Wild Horse Monument. When I look at it, it makes me feel so free. :)