Search This Blog

10/13/2016

Zoe's Kingdom: We All Have a Place

Dear reader:  good morning. I'm a little lightheaded, like I am when I don't sleep well, arggh. Ah, well, there are worse things. Still job hunting, and it's frustrating, but I'm a trooper. Hey, I wrote this l'il number a while back. I just love this picture, and it really inspired the essay below. I didn't take the shot, but pro photographer Bill Adams did. I'd be thrilled to meet Zoe, the zebra.

The essay here still stands well; I thought I'd repost it on this steel grey day. Whoever's reading, I'm sending out love and light and hope to you...may you find peace, love, happiness, and a yummy, dense cookie. They have these monster vegan cookies at a cafe I know, and they're in my thoughts all the time, ha. Here's the essay. Hope you dig it. Definitely goes along with the one I wrote the other day, called, "Follow the Inner Voice." Kind of a hand-in-hand message. Peace out, C.A.


Zoe's Kingdom:  We All Have a Place


Her name is Zoe. A while back, I came across an enhanced version of this photo on social media -- the photo-shopped one was circulating around, and it showed her stripes as nearly neon. (So we even photo shop zebras). Well, mesmerized by her unique beauty, I did a little digging to find out the truth, and it seems that the photo (shown left) is the original print, and this is her true color -- muted from the enhanced one but amazing, nonetheless. Indeed, she is real, and she has golden stripes and blue eyes.

Zoe lives at the Three Ring Ranch animal sanctuary in Hawaii, and she has a condition called Amelanism, a pigmentation abnormality characterized by the lack of pigments called melanins, commonly associated with a genetic loss of tyrosinase function; it can affect fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals, including humans. So scientifically speaking, this is the cause of her striking appearance. So Zoe is not an albino zebra either. For sure, she stands out. In her world, she stands alone. Sure, there have been others like this, but it is rare.

Imagine how this would affect a zebra's life. In the wild, her ability to camouflage within the herd would be impossible. Her safety would be threatened 24/7. Indeed, she would be a walking target, and this would undoubtedly change the herd. Interesting to think about...of course she is safe in this sanctuary, but here, she still interacts with a herd, and it seems that her mere presence would definitely change things up.

For nearly 25 years, I worked with horses, and I'd sometimes spend hours watching the herds graze. Of course, on these farms, there were no stallions -- only geldings-- and we separated the mares from the geldings, so it wasn't like observing a completely natural scene; however, their personalities varied as much as people's do. Some were bullies. Some were laid back. Some acted like kids who needed naps. Some mares were strong, wild, and maternal. Some mares were demure, yet sneakily affectionate. All over the map. And they formed unique and lasting friendships -- often, they paired off, or they hung out in threes. Some steered clear of each other and when they got close, they'd bicker, fight, or ignore each other. Just like people. Now, I haven't spent time observing zebras, and I hear they're difficult to tame, and I know they're vastly different than horses in actions and reactions, but it seems that there is a similar bonding system within the herds...

With the horses I knew, each and every one, despite their defects, played a crucial part in the herd's survival, and even though they lived on a farm, their clear-cut instincts and roles were always apparent; that is, there was an ever-present concern for others. For instance, the maternal mare protected the wilder, younger one, letting her know that a storm was coming, and that they should take cover. Then she'd bite at the heels of all the mares, riling them up, nearly forcing them to run to the gate so that we would see them and bring them in to shelter. The feisty, thick, ruddy-haired gelding gathered up the rest, even the ones he disliked, when he heard the storm siren, and when the attractive show horse balked, the tough one let him know who was boss. And then there were the mares who let the pregnant pony hit the trough first, so that she could have the freshest water. Despite individual personalities, the overall care and concern was constant.

Despite feelings, genes, histories, likes and dislikes, animals accept their place as tiny, humble parts of the universe, mere minuscule specks of the whole, and they inherently know that they play an important part in the world's survival; that is, through instinct, they are always aware of the larger whole, the planet, the universe. As people, our complicated minds, hearts, and feelings allow us to succeed at so many things. And of course we have the power to create and destroy. Consistently, do we not lose sight of our place in this vast wholeness? Do we not forget that we are in this together?

I am not excluding myself, oh no. I admit that I forget as well, and honestly, I get caught up all the time, for sure. I try my best to continue to do the next right thing but of course, I know that I have a long, long way to go. But on the days when I'm aware and in tune (with the herd, if you will), life just seems...well...right. All good, all right. Just think what the world would be like if we all maintained this awareness at all times, if we were all out for the good of everyone, rather than just focusing on ourselves. And of course, many are participating in this idea in a large way. Many people have for centuries. Each time we meditate and send out light and prayer, we are participating. Each time we stop to help someone or something and don't expect a return, we are participating. That is what animals, trees, and plants do, and the inter-workings of nature are the closest thing to divine perfection that I know. Daily, it humbles me.

Simply, at it's core, nature works, and it is brilliant. Just think what would happen if we could all let go of ourselves and all at once, all together, focus on the big picture -- love, survival, instinct, and ultimate giving. What if we thought of others not during prayer time, but all the time? Buddha, Jesus, Gandhi, man in West Virginia who gave up his health ticket at the free clinic so someone else could have eye surgery, and Zoe -- we're all the same. It may sound fantastical, but I do believe it is possible to find this wholeness if we work on ourselves from the inside out and focus on our place within the design, and in turn, focus our energy on how we can best give. And I could take this further and say this: if we all did what our deepest soul's purpose was calling for us to do, if we paid attention to our hearts completely, if we gave without expectation of a return, there would be no war, there would be no need for money, and no one would even have to work.

Zoe reminds me of the circular nature of things. Zoe reminds me that although I may stand out at times, there is a reason for my presence in the universe, and I can make a mark. Someone like Zoe has a place in this too. Maybe she represents the future. And thinking deeply, maybe she was sent from some divine spirit to shake things up. Maybe, among the most traditional and powerful zebras, there may be some resistance. Some will find her strange. Others, like me, will find her to be strikingly gorgeous. This morning, she is my little miracle.

C.A. MacConnell