Search This Blog

2/27/2022

Seat Belt

Good morning. This one speaks of an imaginary place I visit when I'm walking...I've done this ever since I was small. Stories and scenes, good music, long stretches of highway, and vast fields or deserted lands -- they all send me there. Hope you like the piece. :)

Seat Belt

I listen. The sunset road
stretches out before me

like a pale, lined tongue.
Let me follow the limit.

I never wear a seat belt.
When I hear your voice,

I imagine the throat of it,
the slide, the wishing well.

I am in love with the lip.
Some come from the gut.

Let me sing on the end.
Sound fills me, and I never

look both ways. Beyond
the words, I see myself

in a red, deserted place.
where my figure is fine,

and my face is porcelain,
and I am barely twenty-two,

driving alone, tearing across
Wyoming, kicking up dust,

looking for horse plates.

C.A. MacConnell