Search This Blog

2/17/2022

Dinner.

Here's a little piece I've been working on. Hope you like it. Just warming up my brain to work some more on BOOK FIVE. :) After I finish draft two, I'm gonna have to take a break on the book and make some cash somehow. I wish I could roll on with it and focus, but you know, gotta pay rent! I abhor practicality. Hope you have a good day out there... Love, C.A.

Dinner

dream poem

Teeth. Wolves. Surrounding me,
they spat, crashing side-to-side,

lost in riot, colliding like highway,
pile-up accidents. Some bodies

upturned, bleeding smoke (paws
spinning). How they howled,

hoping to make me the wicked
meal. But I evening-stretched

up tall (to the tip toe), raising
my arms as high as small, dream

arms could rise, reaching out
my strange, new fingers, hunting

for light, color, more, more, more,
and suddenly, I stretched my curious

knuckles, (a distorted, flat comic
uprising from the page, turning

into a live cartoon), and my vine-like
nails shot out like slides, becoming

claws. Gut to throat, I barked back.
Perhaps the animal sound was far

from perfect, but joined by my fresh-
faced assistant – fire – I slowly watched

the others shrink back, soon tearing
away, tail between the legs. Dinner,

once again, was over before it began.

C.A. MacConnell