Search This Blog

12/02/2016

Photo: FBF, Star Attraction & the News


Just checking in. Sharing an old photo today...sharing part of my life.

When I was newly sixteen, I sold my 3' horse, Rojo (see story below), and I found this guy in Camden, South Carolina, where he was hanging out on a lovely farm, waiting for me. Dark, dappled bay, 15'3 hands, he was young & inexperienced -- only five years old -- but we were soul mates from the start. I changed his name to Star Attraction (note the star on his forehead), but at the barn, I called him another name. Well, I worked so incredibly hard, trained him up, and he became my 3'6" horse. Cool. Seems like there wouldn't be a huge difference between 3' or 3'6", but there is, oh yeah. At 3'6", the rider has to be ultra accurate. That six inches makes all the difference when jumping. A lot more difficult. Ask any hunter/jumper rider.

Strangely, I think this is the only picture I have of him. I don't hold on to things. That's putting it mildly. I get rid of everything, actually, especially when I lose a person or animal. Just my thing. But I hold on to pictures of him in my heart. I've been around many animals, but only two have felt like true soul mates to me -- this horse and my cat who just passed.

Interesting, I've always connected more with bay horses.

Other news:  doing a lot of copywriting for work, which is good -- keeps me out of trouble. Also waiting on some feedback on my young adult book. Keeping things moving! Wish me luck as I continue on the road to getting published! Also in the news...a planned future visit to the eye doctor. Soon. Ugh, getting older. I had glasses at one time, but I am so ultra-stubborn that I wouldn't wear them, and now they're missing. Well, time for a new pair, and this time, there's no denying that I need them.

Here's to becoming new (and old) ha,
C.A. MacConnell