Search This Blog

Loading...

7/27/2011

Artist to Watch: Sassy Molasses

 

Thomas Curran, Moriah Lawson, Michael Hamilton of Sassy Molasses (and there's a shadow ghost in the window as well -- Andy Jody, multi-talented musician and sound man)

Back in May, I wrote a CityBeat article about Sassy Molasses. Since then, they've added a steel guitar player, and despite some technical difficulties last night at the Comet, they sounded right on. Check them out -- a mix of folk, blues, bluegrass, full of soul and heart. I found myself sitting there thinking, Dayum, such talent, right in my backyard. What a hidden gem. I want more.

Everyone and their brother and sister and ghosts should know about this one. (Sassy Molasses plays The Southgate House tomorrow. And The Heartless Bastards will be there tearing off the roof, in case you live under a rock).

The Comet is so quirky, with its massive burritos, jukebox, photo booth, and sound that was created back in the 80s by R2D2 I think. Sorry, Comet, but it's true. There's some buzz goin on there, mates. Not Jody's fault -- something to do with the electricity I believe. Alas, the place is still absolutely endearing, in all of its strangeness, and lets face it, many talented musicians have rocked the house there over the years. Or at least gotten wasted and played pool there.

It's got that "legendary" feel, for sure. Made me feel all dreamy and start thinking about things like my imaginary true love again. :) Some things never change.

Really, this town is so full of amazing talent. Many people aren't aware of the underground scene here, but in the Indie music world, Cincinnati really does kick some ass. In the next few months, I'm going to single out some of these bands and share about them with the masses. When it comes down to it, I feel lucky to have been a part of CityBeat music for the past, lets see, seven years, something like that, whoa. And I'm really proud to be a part of this music town.

Now, I'm off to meet with a writing mentor and have some vegan eats. I'm not totally vegan, but I try.

Go support some local music today. Amen,
C.A. MacConnell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter